Missouri Highlands Health Care Patients have the following rights:
Respect and Dignity: Effective health care requires trust between patients and health care providers. Staff will show respect for each patients’ rights and needs.
Continuity of Care: Missouri Highlands Health Care must inform each patient (or their representative) of the patients’ rights in advance of providing care. Missouri Highlands Health Care works with patients to coordinate all medical/dental care. In the event that termination of care is deemed necessary, a certified letter will be sent to the patient outlining the reasons for termination and providing information on seeking care from an alternative source.
Participation in Care: Patients have the right to participate in the development and implementation of their plan of care including but not limited to the following:
- Receive treatment regardless of race, religion, disability, age, sex or national origin
- Make informed decisions regarding their care
- Be informed of their health status
- Be involved in care planning and treatment
- Request or refuse treatment
- Have practitioners and staff provide care that is consistent with these directives
- Practitioners and staff provide care that follows clinical care guidelines
- Resolving conflicts about care decisions
- Have a family member or representative and their own physician notified promptly upon their admission to the hospital.
Privacy, Security, Access, Communication: Missouri Highlands Health care will respect patients’ needs that may affect care such as:
- Confidentiality of information gathered during treatment
- Privacy during care
- The need for a safe environment
- Security of self and property
- Effective communication that considers hearing, speech and visual impairments as well as language barriers
- Physical access to the facility for the physically and visually impaired
- The right to complain about care, to have the complaints reviewed and when possible resolved.
- In general, the clinic hours are from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Medical advice needed during or after office hours can be obtained by calling the clinic.
Access to Medical Record: Patients have the right to access the information contained in their medical records and recommend amendments when documentation is thought to be inaccurate or incomplete. Patients have the ability to request an electronic copy of their Personal Health Information (PHI) by activating a Patient Portal account.
Abuse and Harassment: Patients have the right to be free from all forms of abuse or harassment.
Grievance: Patients have the right to file a grievance in writing or by calling the appropriate patient representative:
- Central Office at (573) 663-2313
If a patient files a grievance, they will be notified about the Missouri Highlands Health Care Grievance Process.
Billing: Regardless of the source of payment for care, patients have the right to request and receive an explanation of the bill.
Professional Relationships: Patients have the right to know the name of the person responsible for or delivering their care and to have questions answered in regard to relationships with other health care providers, educational institutions and payers.
Additional rights provided to you under HIPAA (Heath Insurance Portability & Accountability Act) of 1996.
Notice of Privacy Practices: The notice of privacy practices is available at each registration area and can be mailed to you if you call 573-663-2313.
- Right to request restrictions on uses and disclosures.
- Right to access medical records.
- Right to request amendments.
- Right to request an accounting of disclosures.
- Right to request confidential communications.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of these rights, please do not hesitate to contact the Central Office at (573) 663-2313.
Patients have the following responsibilities:
Accurate Information: Provide accurate and complete information about present complaints, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, advance directives and other matters of care, such as preventive health screenings.
Treatment Decisions: Demonstrate an understanding of their contemplated treatment or care decisions and follow the treatment plan recommended by health care providers.
Appointments: Keep and be on time for appointments. If needed, please call and cancel the appointment so that another patient may be served. Normally, a 24 to 48 hour advance notice is expected. Patients can leave a message after-hours by calling the clinic.
Adverse Outcomes: If treatment is refused or if instructions are not followed. The patient is responsible for any adverse outcomes.
Financial Obligations: Promptly fulfill financial obligations for medical services.
Rules and Regulations: Patients and their guests are responsible for following Missouri Highlands Health Care’s rules and regulations. If unclear or not sure, patients have the responsibility to ask.
Rights of Others: Be considerate of the rights of other patients and Missouri Highlands Health Care’s personnel as well as the property of both.
We will not discriminate against you in the provision of care, treatment or services based on age, sex, race, creed, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual preference, public assistance status or criminal record.
You have the right to be free from sexual harassment, sexual contact, verbal, physical or sexual abuse, and any form of exploitation by the staff treating you.
Reporting a Complaint
You may openly communicate your dissatisfaction, and raise questions or concerns about the service you have received without fear. Missouri Highlands wants to know about your dissatisfaction or concerns.
If you are dissatisfied with our services, please contact us or tell one of our staff. They all can assist you in resolving difficulties. If an individual staff member is unable to help you, they will involve your healthcare provider or the Department Manager in an attempt to resolve the problem. If you remain dissatisfied or still have concerns, you may file a formal complaint by contacting the following agencies:
Missouri Department of Health
Jefferson City, MO 65109
visit web site
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Blvd
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
visit web site