The Chief Workforce Officer is the curator of the wellbeing of the people that work and serve at Missouri Highlands Health Care (MHHC). Reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer, working in close collaboration with the CFO and other members of the senior leadership team. The CWO is responsible for the strategic direction and hands-on execution and communication of Human Resources policies, programs and practices in support of the organization’s mission and goals. The CWO is responsible for oversight for all aspects of the Human Resources function and building a high performing Human Resources team focused on the organization’s evolving and growing needs, standardization of programs and processes, exceptional delivery of services, and financial viability of programs. Advises clinical and operational leaders on organizational design, counsels on people and talent management, assesses organizational capabilities and develops plans to close talent gaps.
- Embrace the mission of Missouri Highlands Health Care.
- Work in strong partnership with MHHC Strategy Team and Executive Management to execute on the goals of the MHHC Strategic Plan at the highest level.
- Leads MHHC Strategic Plan Pillar to “promote and empower an engaged workforce.”
- Supports and upholds MHHC’s Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) initiatives.
- Annually reviews and works in collaboration with MHHC Strategy Team and Executive Management to improve MHHC policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures MHHC’s compliance.
- Builds and oversees the HR budget and is responsible for staying within approved budget amounts each fiscal year.
- Maintains responsibility for MHHC compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
- Communicates changes in MHHC personnel policies and procedures and ensures proper compliance is followed.
- Works to reform the performance review process to align with MHHC team-based and value-based care initiatives.
- Assists executive management in the annual review, preparation and administration of MHHC compensation and benefits program.
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the CEO, on personnel matters.
- Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Develops and maintains a human resource system that meets MHHC personnel information needs.
- Participates on committees and special projects and seeks additional responsibilities when appropriate.
Training and Development
- Works in collaboration with MHHC Strategy Team and Executive Management to evaluate and participate in staff development for the MHHC.
- Responsible for emotional development training and professional development of Executive Team members and all other supervisors.
- Provides executive coaching to Chief officers and all Executive Team members.
- Hire, train and evaluate Human Resource personnel. Develop and maintain a competent and efficient staff. Coaches and encourages employees to achieve success.
- Oversees the management of Human Resources, and assists Finance with the Payroll Department
- Establish and oversee work assignments for Human Resource staff. Establish productivity and work performance standards and implement monitoring mechanisms to ensure these standards are met.
- Analyze staffing needs and assign personnel as appropriate in the HR department.
- Counsel and develop performance improvement plans with staff as appropriate.
- Train HR staff on new procedures and agency reporting requirements as they develop. Ensure staff are following organizational policies and procedures appropriately.
- Investigate and ensures appropriate action is taken on employee complaints along with counsel to staff for relationship improvements.
- Supports the Employee Morale/Recognition Committee as supervisor to the committee chair.
- Oversees performance management programs.
- Oversees employee development programs.
Recruitment and Retention
- Conducts bi-annual salary surveys used to develop MHHC’s compensation program.
- Responsible for 50% of all hiring decisions in partnership with the hiring supervisor.
- Oversees all HR Analytics, including the development & oversight of a MHHC Index of Wellbeing. Maintains annual turnover data, oversees exit interview process and bi-annual employee engagement surveys. Works in collaboration with MHHC Strategy Team and Executive Management on meeting MHHC goals.
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee’s performance by training managers to coach and discipline employees. Receives and resolves employee grievances and gives counsel to employees and supervisors when necessary.
- Oversees job requirements and job descriptions for all positions, including periodic job evaluations and competency checklist reviews in coordination with manager and HR staff and competency checklist reviews in coordination with HR staff and Risk Management..
Other HR Compliance Responsibilities
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable Human Resource Federal and State requirements, including appropriate posting and employee notifications.
- Helps ensure tax compliance in partnership with payroll department.
- Oversees the maintenance of all HR historical records to ensure compliance with State and Federal laws.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies
- Conducts internal HR audits annually.
- Oversees employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends.
- Obtains and evaluates benefit contract bids. Works in collaboration with MHHC Strategy Team and Executive Management to ensure benefit program options are best for MHHC.
- Review and assess the benefits tracking systems used in ADP and update or modify as determined necessary in coordination with the Payroll department.
- Coordinates annual renewal, evaluation and selection of MHHC Group benefit plans and communicates any changes/reenrollments to staff.
- Answers routine inquiries from inside and outside MHHC on employment issues including staffing, benefits, policies and new hire orientation.
- Coordinates trainings as necessary to MHHC staff as it relates to Benefits, Safety, HIPAA, Workers Compensation and Hiring/Supervising issues.
- Manages Worker Compensation plan, including reports and follow-up care for all claims.
- Keeps current employee Handbooks and Policy and Procedures as they relate to Human Resources and Benefit Plans.
- Reports on Turnover rates, employee census data, salary survey info and other requests made by MHHC membership affiliates. Works with SEMO AHEC and coordinates distribution of information for potential employee professional career advancement and scholarship opportunities.
- Provides support to the Board of Directors for MHHC, in partnership with CEO/CFO.
- Comprehends and practices employee and patient confidentiality according to HIPAA regulations and MHHC Ethics policy.
- Organizes and hosts Quarterly All-Staff Meetings.
- Supervises all staff assigned to the Human Resources department of MHHC
- Supports the Finance Department by meeting all HR department budget obligations.
- Oversees MHHC Credentialing requests in a timely manner, including allowing access to NPI, and CAQH websites.
- Comply with all Human Resource processes and programs.
- Complete all Human Resource assigned trainings.
Miscellaneous Duties as Assigned
Perform such other duties or projects as determined by this position’s supervisor.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Education or Formal Training & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 to 10 years’ related experience.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification required within 6 months of hire.
- Multiple years’ progressive experience in human resources management, benefits and recruitment/retention programs experience required. This experience should include supervisory and/or leadership duties.
Knowledge, Skill & Ability: (include materials and equipment directly used)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and ability to work effectively with all levels of employees.
- Clear understanding of HR practices and employment laws and procedures as well as knowledge of resources to assist with appropriate input when needed.
- Leadership ability to hire, train, evaluate and coach staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively the administrative needs and operational procedures to all levels of staff verbally and in writing.
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain effective working relationships with clients as well as staff under pressure situations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize personal and staff’s workload.
- Proficiency using Windows based computer applications.
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Ability to travel between various clinical locations at least monthly.
- Primarily a sedentary position requiring walking within the facility.
- Flexibility and movement in order to reach and bend as needed to place files in cabinets.
- Speaking and listening skills to communicate on phone and in person with all levels of staff.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Obtain 2 step PPD for tuberculosis (annually if provider). Employer will provide.
- Obtain vaccine records for MMR, Varicella, T-DAP, HepB.
HIPAA Classification: Restricted Access: A workforce member with restricted access will have limited access to a patient’s protected health information as described in the workforce directory and as needed to perform his or her job duties. A workforce member in this category may not access or use a patient’s entire medical record, except when the access or use is specifically identified in the directory or in a Health Center policy and procedure as the amount that is reasonably necessary to perform the member’s job duties.
Category III: Tasks in which the normal work routine never involves exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues. Persons who perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency medical care or first aid or to be potentially expos