SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Provides professional customer service by obtaining and verifying necessary demographic and insurance information. Schedule appointments.
- Follows opening and closing procedures according to office guidelines.
- Greets patients/parents in polite, prompt, helpful matter and provides any necessary instructions/directions. Informs nursing staff of patient arrival.
- Obtains and enters new patient demographics; updates patient information, on every office visit, in the computer system to maintain accuracy for billing.
- Obtains insurance information; may require verification by contacting insurance companies.
- Collects all co-pays and balances, as required by office policies. Understands and can apply payments to balances.
- Reviews all forms for accuracy and completion according to office policies prior to accepting.
- Apply diagnosis codes accurately at check out.
- Schedules return appointments at check out.
- Proves out at closing showing the day’s total receipts; matches the day’s transactions and completes deposit slips. Have a second person verify the dollar amount.
- Answers telephone.
- Conducts self in accordance with MHHC’s employee handbook.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
- Makes reminder call to patients regarding upcoming appointments.
- Performs other duties, as required.
EDUCATION: High school graduation or GED.
- Word processing and computer experience.
- Dental terminology helpful.
- Minimum of one-year work experience in customer service.
- Must be organized and detail-oriented.
ENIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times due to a busy office. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive. Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation. There may be excessive standing while working at the check-in counter. May be occasional lifting of supplies up to 20 lbs.